Background

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Design crush: Jeffrey Bilhuber


So here's someone I haven't talked about before, but on whom I have a major design crush: Jeffrey Bilhuber. This New York based designer counts Anna Wintour and Iman and David Bowie among his clients. I remember, back in my Beige Period, I saw the image below of the sun room done in shades of muted coral and beige, and I promptly fell in love with the room and the designer, whom I had never heard of at the time. The beauty of Bilhuber's work is that, as my design aesthetic has changed and my colour choices have become bolder, so have his.

I think I may already have posted one of Bilhuber's interiors, where a high gloss wall features prominently. I love his use of high gloss paint to up the ante, but there are other surprising tricks he uses that may be quite popular across the pond, but that are definitely new to certain parts of Europe. To name but a few, his colourful, glossy ceilings and nailhead trim on walls to create architectural depth and detail. Another favourite: 360 degree checks - on the walls, as window dressing, furniture upholstery. I love how cosy it feels, yet the over the top element keeps it from feeling...well, hokey, for lack of a better word.



Source: Architectural Digest



How beautiful is this soft yolky yellow combined with the aqua in the bookcases?


What a great vignette!

Source: Elle Decor

Source: Architectural Digest

No comments:

Post a Comment