Background

Monday, October 28, 2013

Take it like a man


The current line-up of oversized coats has me in a state of perpetual bemusement. No matter how often I see all those huge overcoats, whether in black, camel, print or Carven's baby pink version, I just can't seem to get on board with the trend. The massive, sloping shoulders and shapeless silhouettes, often executed in an unforgiving hard wool, remind me of men's fashion circa 1950. And it's not even worn ironically, as is the case in the picture above. See, now that, I get. But all that shapelessness just isn't doing it for me. I can appreciate the fact that many of these women are totally on trend, and many are helped by the fact that they are built like goddesses, statuesque and slim. But take your average petite female (i.e. me), factor in the 40+ age issue, the less than fabulous shoe collection (although my sneaker collection is rather enviable, even if I do say so myself- although apparently that's not something to be too proud of!), and it just doesn't work. 


Aarrggghhh, those shoulders! Why? Having said that, those metallic shoes are so cool. A little Tin Man, maybe, but she rocks them.

Wow, not a good look for me!

I  do love a good menswear-inspired look, however. Strong shoulders, bespoke details, a bit of tweed here and there, the ubiquitous Brogues or a great pair New Balance sneakers - I'm down with that (ugh, forgive the lingo), but if it's not helping to make me look a little better or hide any flaws; when, in fact, the fashion only manages to magnify my flaws (real or perceived), I give it a wide berth. 





These looks ( the 3 images above) remind me of  my university days. I used to have a camel coat (normal shoulder width) that was way too long, and I'd wear it with scruffy jeans and sneakers. A friend of mine pointed out to me that I stood out in that outfit before we ever officially met (hmmm, perhaps a trend setter after all?) Of course, I never carried a quilted bag or looked nearly as good as either of these women.



Woman above on the left: say WHAT? Although I love those shoes, and she's obviously a model. Woman on the right: now there's a masculine inspired look I can get on board with. Love, love, love this look! I guess it's just more stream-lined and wearable.


The only woman on the planet who could conceivably wear this trend well is Miranda Kerr (above). But let's face it, she's a Victoria's Secret model with haute fashion taste and legs that won't quit. 



Anna dello Russo, above, does masculine in her own inimitable style.



All images from Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment