Background

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

If I had it to do over again...

via Belgian Pearls
Christian van der Graesen

Three and a half years ago, when we were decorating our new home and selecting a new kitchen, I had decided on a beautiful, off-white Belgian tile for the back splash (like in the two pictures above). Unfortunately, our contractor convinced me that the playful, antique finish of Belgian tile would not complement the rest of the kitchen (all black marble counter tops and off white cabinets with discreet molding and stainless steel handles). Instead, he selected a plain, white square tile placed in a perfect grid, which I absolutely hate. It's so sterile-looking and lacking in soul. It reminds me of a public toilet!! But did I say anything at the time? Oh noooo, I was far too timid, and the expense had me gobsmacked, so I wasn't about to have it all ripped out.
If I could do it all over again, however, I would have left the Belgian tile to its genteel, discreet Belgian interiors and gone straight for a subway tile. It's so modern and fresh yet playful. At the time I wasn't familiar with it, as it's not as big here in Europe as it is in the States, but I kept coming across more pictures which featured this element, and I love it. Big sigh! Coulda, woulda, shoulda!!







This is my favourite!!
It also looks great in bathrooms!




I love and adore this grey version!



Also looks interesting with dark grout












No comments:

Post a Comment