Background

Monday, July 15, 2013

The Real Slim Shady


All this gorgeous, sunny weather is putting me in a very summery mood. It's got me fantasizing about my upcoming vacation to the Cote d'Azur. I've been spending my holidays there for as long as I can remember. Cannes feels like a home away from home and the gorgeous village of Mougins was, in fact, actually my home for many years. And although we still go every summer, I never tire of the region. Particuarly the beaches. 

The photographs of Slim Aarons (1916 - 2006) call to mind those summers: the sun, the sparkling water, the beautiful homes and glamorous people. These were all elements that Aarons captured with his camera. As a matter of fact, Aarons made an incredible career out of "photographing attractive people doing attractive things in attractive places", as he himself once said in an interview. Socialites, celebrities and the jet-set all allowed him to take candid pictures of them, because he was one of them. Aarons never even used make-up artists or stylists, but let the subjects speak for themselves. All I can say is, I wish I could have been a fly on his lens!



















No comments:

Post a Comment