Background

Monday, June 17, 2013

On trend: Animal Planet

Via shelterinteriordesign.blogspot.com
I was perusing the style.com site, as I do every time I need a serious fashion fix, when I noticed that there's one trend that never seems to go out of style: animal prints. Brands like Stella McCartney, Alberta Ferretti and Diane von Furstenburg are using snake and tiger prints in a big way. And the perennial leopard print never seems to fall out of favour, whether in fashion or interiors (or even motor vehicles!!)

When I was at university I had a huge leopard print throw pillow in a my room, which I would rather apologetically refer to as the "kitsch element" whenever anyone laughed when they first saw it (in hindsight I suppose I ran with a particularly traditional crowd). What none of us realized back then is that leopard (or any animal print, for that matter) is actually a big sartorial DO and I was actually totally on trend! Look at Elsa Schiaparelli, Diana Vreeland and Anna Wintour - all terribly chic ladies with undeniable fashion cred who have sported a variety of animal prints, with not a hint of vulgarity.

In the home, I still think the zebra rug is a great way to shake up a safe space (and yes, I have one too). And looking at the images below, I think the implementation of animal prints as wallpaper or carpeting can be used to great effect. It's a little tough to draw the line at where chic turns to cringe-worthy, but sticking to just one piece in a print - even something vast like carpeting - is usually a good rule of thumb. Especially if you try to keep the rest neutral or low-key. In the end, though, it's like everything else in life: whatever makes you happiest!

















Alberta Ferretti Cruise Collection 2014




Anna Wintour

Carlo Mollino in Vogue Living Australia

Roberto Cavalli RTW Spring-Summer 2013

Roberto Cavalli's home

Elsa Schiaparelli

Madame Castaing
Although the image below is quite over the top, in my opinion, decorator Mary MacDonald can do no wrong. To me, this is a rare example of ostentation, colour and print competing for attention with great success.

Mary MacDonald

Diane von Furstenburg Cruise Collection 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment